I live in Wakefield, after moving from my home-town of Bolton. I have a keen interest in computers and technology, particularly networking and programming. My hobbies and interests include football (both playing and watching), astronomy, and some cycling (when I get chance). I also enjoy reading a variety of books, cartography, and astronomy.
For many years, I've maintained a strong interest in Free Software, and other projects around freedom, such as Wikipedia and OpenStreetMap.
Some of my thoughts and experiences on swimming. I used to be a regular swimmer for Bolton Swimming Club in my teenage years.
I maintain a collection of books that I've read on this page.
I also maintain a relatively new website detailing releases of upcoming television shows to home media. You can find it at tvshowreleases.co.uk.
One of the biggest projects I have worked on resides at learngtk.org. The site contains a programming tutorial for PyGTK, and a huge number of examples.
Free Information and Free Software
You can also view my profile at Stack Overflow.
Finally, I have also written a book called Beautiful Stars. This gives a short introduction to many of the popular, notable or easily spotted stars in the night sky, and is released under a CC-BY-SA license. The book can be downloaded in PDF, and the original LaTeX format.
I'm beginning a collection of system administration guides for tasks ranging from easy to difficult. Typically, they're the kind of implementations seen in the enterprise.
- Remembering RAID levels
- Setting up a local deb repository
- Maintaining a tidy Active Directory structure
- Simple DNS/DHCP with Dnsmasq
- A list of command-line applications I either use, recommend or have tried to some degree.
- If you're in the market for purchasing your first telescope, check out this information.
- An expanding list of websites which employ crappy password security.
- Musings on some of the Linux distributions I've used over the years.
- Collection of money saving tips.
- My opinion/review of a Dell U2412M monitor.
- The Real Madrid ticket purchasing guide which provides info for visiting the Bernabeu.
Random pages which you may wish to browse.
- An expanding list of companies and products I avoid.
- A list of rare movie DVDs.
- A bunch of dull news articles (updated fairly regularly).
- A collection of recipes which I've found around the web, of which some I've used.
- My top 10 Twilight Zone episodes.
- A list of my top 100 films
- A map of my railway journeys in the UK.
- A simple version of the game Yahtzee I wrote in Java while at University. Uploaded for reference and archive sake, as it was my one and only time programming with Java.